The township is 14km west of Ceduna on sealed road. Take the first turn left after the BP Roadhouse. This bay offers rewarding fishing and squidding, and blue swimmer crabs are plentiful from the jetty when in season – November to March. Take a look at the local oyster farms. Fresh product may be available from farms.
On entering the township, McKenzie’s Landing – a large square, wooden platform in the water – can be seen as the road runs along the edge of the bay. Prior to the building of a jetty, this landing was used to load and unload goods from the visiting ships. At low tide the landing could be reached by horse and cart with produce loaded onto the platform. As the tide returned, small rowboats, called lighters, from the sailing ships would gather the local produce and deposit passengers and incoming stores on the landing, ready for pick up.
McKenzie’s Ruins are located 15km west on the road to Davenport Creek and make an interesting diversion for the visitor. In 1889 McKenzie purchased 16,280 ha of land at Denial Bay and was instrumental in the development of that area. He employed considerable number of men on his property and established businesses such as the post office, saddlery and blacksmith.